Mentoring Our Children and Youth
By: Pastor Bob Lauver
One of our responsibilities as believers is to train up our children, grandchildren and heritage, in the ways of the Lord and also how to live a respectful, proper Christian life in these days we live in. The following are a few ways that I feel are important to impart to our children.
1. We must lead our young ones to Jesus Christ, to be filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, to bring them to the House of the Lord and to train them how to pray and know the Word of God, the Bible.
2. Our children need to learn obedience, discipline, correction, rules and that choices have consequences. (Eph. 6:1-2)
3. Children need to be trained to respect people and property, honor their parents and authority and be considerate of others that they come in contact with.
4. I believe that children need to be taught to work, earn money, save and how to spend properly. They need to learn the value of things that God provides for us and to give to God from their money.
5. Manners and etiquette are also important to teach. How to say: please, thank you, excuse me, I’m sorry. Table manners are important to teach and to train children to not be rude and disruptive.
6. We must show our children how to be: honest, always truthful, loving, kind, forgiving and how to be friendly and how to choose good friends.
7. Children should be taught to be helpful, to learn how to serve mom and dad and others and how to be responsible and to do their chores with excellence.
8. We should teach our children how to conquer their fears, challenges and what seems impossible for them to accomplish. With God’s help, all things are possible. (Phil.4:13)
9. We must teach our children the power of moral purity, Godliness and how to live holy lives in an ungodly culture. At some point, teach your young ones about sex as taught to us in the Word of God. Not more than they are ready for, using wisdom, timing and God’s leading and help.
God says in 2 Timothy 4:12 to Timothy, “Be an example”. This is a must for us. We must do more that teach with words, we must train with our life style. Kids learn more from what they see than from what they hear. May God help us and may God bless you as you train your heritage.
8/2/2022 10:50:59 am
Hi thannks for posting this
Leave a Reply.